Thursday, March 10th, 2016
What's the What, What Now?
Incoming braindump for those of you wondering what's on my mind lately.
- Spring is on the way. The weather is already threatening to turn beautiful.
- I haven't been spending a lot of time on the social media lately, because why would you? For the last several days the top story on my Facebook feed has been about the time when my friend Andrew cut his long hair off—SIX YEARS AGO!
- I remembered why I've been so darn sleepy lately: I'm on drugs! Since the drugs are just prescription allergy medicine that I take all the time, it's easy for me to take them for granted and forget they have side-effects.
- I didn't order pizza tonight. I didn't buy ice cream either. Instead, I ate tomatoes and brie for dinner with blueberries and raspberries for dessert. That was somehow more satisfying.
- I've (re)discovered IRC. It's still jumping, at least it is if you're in the technology industry. It's also slowly escaping the Eternal Summer, which is nice.
- I have a new strategy for staying organized. I do the most annoying jobs first. Once they're out of the way, everything else is much easier. The tasks I really hate, like doing the dishes, I make my chief priority. Sure, putting so much stress on doing these dreaded chores causes some anxiety, but the relief of having them done far outweighs the stress.
- In direct opposition to this last statement, I have noticed that I spend nearly all of my time doing things I'm obliged or ought to do, and very few of my waking hours are invested toward anything I actually want to do.
- This last point is mitigated somewhat by the fact I'm not sure what I'd like to do.
- I've listened to Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly maybe 4 or 5 times now. It doesn't live up to the hype. I think the best song on the album is probably King Kunta, which has a good hook or two (of the sort that give it a certain short-lived mass appeal), but the album quickly looses steam and devolves into largely played out gangster rap laid atop one pastiche or another. But what do I know? I work in an office. I've got like zero yams.
Previous: Another Weekend Come and Gone